Saturday, August 25, 2012

My Loves

Furniture Row has a huge sign declaring back to school savings.  As if the back to school necessity every kid needs is a new couch?  Really?  You can't go shopping without seeing "Back to School" signs everywhere.  Maybe I'm just over sensitive because school has started and I have been really missing it.

Being a teacher is not just what I did, it's who I am.  I don't see things like non-teachers.  When I pass by the bin of brand new #2 pencils at Target, I know they will loose their erasers and gain a whole lot of teethmarks.  Those bright notebooks with the perfectly spiraled wire will soon be tangled in the center of wad of "lost" papers and old snack wrappers.  When I see a kid running down the aisle in Wal-Mart, I have to resist the urge to sternly call out, "Walk please!"  When I see a parent being harsh with their child, I see a student who gives up easily for fear of failure.  When I see a parent giving in to their child's spoiled tantrum for another new toy, I see the student who struggles with friendships and working in a group.  When people ask what I do, I always find myself saying, "I taught 3rd grade, but am at home with the girls for now."  I can't get out the words, "I'm a stay-at-home mom."  Because I'm not.  I'm a teacher.

I found myself loading these pictures with no plan of writing anything out of the ordinary.  Just a quick update.  "My Loves" almost typed itself into the title line.  Oh, how I love them!  Emily's anticipatory giggle while I cut her banana and her triumphant way of carrying a book or toy above her head like a trophy she just won.  Julia's pointer finger working it's way into nearby belly buttons and noisy open mouthed kisses randomly bestowed on my leg.  I love their elbow dimples and bed heads.  Their fascination with tupperware and climbing stairs.  I even love the fact that they learned to hurl toys through the gate so they can watch them bounce down the stairs.  When they point to things and ask me very serious questions in gibberish, I'm proud of their curiosity.  I love that peek-a-boo in the curtains has nothing on any olympic sport.  In their eyes, everything has beauty and is appreciated.  I love that.  A feather, some soap bubbles, the garage door going up or down...these are the things that bring them joy.

The way I described to a friend my disconnect between missing school, but being glad I'm not there is the feeling of having newborn twins.  My heart is constantly being pulled to both knowing full well I can't do right by both at the same time.  Between the two newborns, I could have never chosen one to favor.  With teaching and being with the girls, I could choose.  I did choose.

And I'm happy.

Teaching may be my passion, but these two bright-eyed beauties are my loves.  "Back to school" comes every August.  The same month my babies celebrate growing up.  One day I, too, will be "back to school" but will never get to go back to babies.  Instead of missing school, I want to focus on really being here with them in each moment.  Whether it is filled with poop or filled with giggles, it's mine to cherish.  When I do go back to school, I don't want to be missing the days I could have made the most of.  The days of just me and my loves.

Whistling back at the birds!

Walking on wood chips is an art.

Explorers


Water table fun with Levi

So we need some work on sharing with our friends.  And not biting friends, too. 
"More Spaghetti I Say!" was one of Barry's favorite book as a child.  I think Julia would be a fan, too!

Julia likes her birthday present from mama & daddy!

So does Emily!




This is Emily's concentrating face.  It's hard to climb stairs!
I looked away for a second....
Party skirts!  Getting ready for Levi's first birthday party!

A surprise birthday present in the mail!

Reading time after breakfast.

I'm stuck!
Not sure what this face is all about, but it's cute!

Emily is wildly happy when she wakes up!
Julia signing all done!  No more pictures, mom!  
One good one!
Our last container of formula.  This should make me happy because it's crazy expensive, but all I could think of is that my babies aren't babies anymore.  :(

First play date with Lucas!  (6 weeks)

He finally woke up to play after the girls went to sleep!

Julia and cousin Kara playing and waiting for Emily to wake up.

Baby Book club

Emily got up just in time for a morning snack!
Riding the pony backwards while saying, "WOW!"

She wouldn't give up when the the pony started sliding away from her!

On the go!  

Suds in the water table!


Baby Modeling.  Work it girl!
Slipping on the wet porch is sad!


1 comment:

  1. Loved this post. I'm glad you have a good perspective on it. And I will send those pics. I have them sitting on my desktop waiting to be zipped and sent your way.

    ReplyDelete