Thursday, April 18, 2013

A Scawy World

Yesterday was a constant thunderstorm from before we woke up until after everyone had gone to sleep.  It seemed to fit the mood of much of the nation.  The only TV I usually watch is the first part of the TODAY show. They've been busy informing me of that North Korea is ready to use weapons of mass destruction, random bombings which terrify and kill innocent people, and an explosion in Texas killing even more.  There's the Newtown parents lobbying congress trying desperately to do anything possible to make something come out of their child's death.  I even read about a mom who recently took her toddler on a walk when he was shot and killed in his stroller by two teens angry that she didn't have any money to give them.

Two families in our church are grieving for a father and a teen who took their own lives this winter and spring.  I see my newsfeed on Facebook full of people upset over North Dakota's abortion ban.  Whenever I read Emilie Parker's mother's blog, I see just how fragile each life on this earth really is.  To see the perspective of those who would do anything so their loved one could have lived running parallel to those who choose to take life creates even more dissonance in an already noisy, scary world.

It's hard to look at those you love most and know that you have very little control over if or when they'll be gone.  I can buy the best carseats, cut grapes in quarters, and put outlet covers in the wall, but that's so minimal compared to all the dangers they will face.  In fact, one of Emily's most common phrases is, "Scared."  It took the poor girl almost an hour to eat her pancake yesterday during all the thunder because in between bites, she'd say, "Scawy.  Scawed."  I feel so powerless. One day she'll tell me she's scared because of an incident like Newtown or the Boston Marathon and what can I really do to comfort her?  

It is a scary world, honey.  It truly is.

I still remember crying as a child and being so confused at why someone would want to kill so many people including small children after the Oklahoma City bombing in 1995.  I feel like a part of me grew up that day.  I realized adults really don't have it all figured out like I thought they should.  That was a scary realization.

Every night, the last thing we do is sing "Jesus Loves Me" to Julia and Emily before bedtime.  Tonight the line "For they are weak, but He is strong." runs through my head on repeat.

We are weak.  We are broken.  We live in a world that is just like us.  The best security measures can't prevent every nut job from hurting people.  We can ban all kinds of bad things to feel better, but bad things will still happen.  I guess what I can tell my kids is that we can keep on loving.  Keep reaching out to those we can help.  Keep trying to make the most of our uncertain amount of time with one another.  The most important thing we can do is keep praying and keep trusting in His promises.  Even when we feel like cowering under the covers, we can stand on faith.

"My grace is sufficient for you.  My power is made perfect in weakness."
- Jesus

"This is my command --Be strong and courageous.  Do not be afraid or dismayed.  
For the Lord your God is with you where ever you go."
Joshua 1:9  

Click here for March and Easter Photos.


I always tell the girls to "stay back" whenever I open the oven.  It's funny to hear them copy me in play.
Emily started this diaper changing session and Julia saw what she was doing, ran to their room, and collected everything she'd need to do it, too.  They worked on this for a LONG time.  
Nice video work, Daddy!





No comments:

Post a Comment